Back to search results
Volunteer English Class Facilitator - Darwin
Role no: 495958
Time involved: 1 - 4 hours per week
• Time frame: 11 week terms
• Time Commitment: 120 minutes -11 sessions to community from February to May 2019
Migration Support Programs deliver English Classes to newly arrived migrants who face barriers accessing the Adult Migrant English Program.
English Class is designed to increase English language skills and knowledge of the newly arrived migrants.
Conversational classes are designed to improve participants:
• Speaking skills
• Listening skills
• Writing skills
• Reading skills
We are looking for someone who has awareness and passion for educating communities and who can provide a holistic approach to learning. Also people with an understanding of challenges faced by people from refugee, asylum seeker and migrant backgrounds and:
• A commitment to create lesson plans for the whole term
• A commitment to make themselves available for the delivery every Wednesdays from 5-7:30pm
• Ability to work effectively and sensitively with individuals from diverse and cultural backgrounds
• A commitment to join Red Cross as a volunteer member and comply with Red Cross terms and conditions of volunteering.
• Highly developed English communication skills
• Strong computer literacy skills
• Advanced Interpersonal skills
By attending English Classes, students can improve their English language skills and build their confidence in networking opportunites. These connections can lead the students to being part of a community and increase their sense of belongingness. Also, learning English can open up new employment and career opportunities.
For more information, please see the volunteer role description VOL_English Class Facilitator.pdf or contact Sabeeha Nihad 0420 900 953
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Advertised: AUS Central Standard Time
Submit your application
Tell us about yourself along with any skills and experience you can bring to Red Cross by completing an online application.
Meet with us
Have a chat with us about the volunteer role you have applied for and see whether it’s a good match for you and for us.
Complete some checks
If you are successful in getting the role we’ll ask you to complete a Police Check. In some cases a Working With Children Check may also be required.
At this stage, it’s time for your induction and training as you’re now an official Red Cross Volunteer.
Apply now Refer a friend